Gavi 972

Gavi 972



Gavi's wine-growing has ancient origins,
as we can see from a document preserved in the State Archives of Genoa,
dated 3 June 972 which gives mention to the rent paid by the Bishop of Genoa
to two citizens of Gavi for vineyards in Mariana.


The first reference to "pure Cortese vines",
however, was found in correspondence between the castle of Montaldeo and the marquis Doria
in 1659.


Evidence of Gavi's international verve dates back to 1782,
when the Marquis Andrea Doria writes of his
intentions to ship wine to America.


In 1798 Count Nuvolone, deputy director of the Agrarian Society of Turin,
draws up the first ampelography of the vines grown in the Piedmont region and
mentions Cortese (in the dialectal form of 'Corteis'), saying that
"it has rather long bunches, rather big berries,
and when it matures, it becomes yellow and is good to eat,
it makes good wine, is abundant and it keeps."


In 1869, the first ampelographic commission of the Province of Alessandria,
chaired by the agronomist Carlo Leardi and prof. Pietro Paolo Demaria,
drew up a detailed description of Cortese, defining it, among other things, as particularly suitable for sparkling,
thanks in particular to the work of the French oenologist Luigi Oudard
(curator of the cellars of Count Cavour in Grinzane)


In 1883 Giacomo Traverso, also known as the Moro, exported this wine to Argentina,
Germany and Switzerland (to the renowned Roessinger wholesaler in Basel).
In neighbouring France, Cortese was included
in the Mille Varietés de Vignes by Pulliat in 1888.


Identifying a wine’s area is a big part of wine culture;
in 1924 Arturo Marescalchi in his guide to "The Typical Wines of Italy"
referred to the wines obtained from Cortese grapes as "White Gavis"


CONSORZIO
TUTELA DEL GAVI | Corte Zerbo 27 | 15066 GAVI | AL | ITALY | +39 0143 645068 | +39 0143 1975184 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | p.iva 01818790063 |